Monday, January 20, 2014

Album Reviews 6 and 7 : The Beatles : A Hard Day's Night : Help!

I listened to these albums more or less back to back. I'm attempting to get out ahead of this resolution because I know there's going to be some REALLY busy weeks coming up for me. Plus I really want to get through the Beatles' core catalogue.

We're still in the early 60s. The Beatles (McCartney and Lennon in particular) are starting to write better songs. They're getting a little more adventurous and ambitious on a few tracks but the albums as a whole still average out to be the same old poppy doo-wop sounds I dislike so strongly.

Andy Hamilton thinks I'm crazy listening to so many albums I don't particularly love but the idea is simple. I am not a person who will readily say I like the Beatles when asked. The only issue is that I also can't say I've listened to enough of them, nor a wide enough variety of their music to really know. I want to be able to say I've listened to everything they wrote. They're arguably the most important important performing group of the 20th century.

We're rapidly approaching album 7 which I have heard from many people is the really turning point. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment